Experience with horses is suggested before attending The Bare Hoof School. According to your skill level, you will be taught the basics of horse handling required to achieve professional results from your trimming. We do feel obligated to say this: Working with horses might not be for everyone. It can be dangerous and requires strength and patience.
There will be a library of books available for students to read and study from. There is a list of recommended books and DVDs for the students to have during or before the course.
In addition to bringing plenty of paper and pens/pencils for your own note taking, there are a few additional tools you’ll need. You won’t be using them on day one so you’ll have some time to see what you like and what works for you.
- molded or dipped gloves, free of seams
- chaps or half chaps with pockets
- hoof rasps
- hoof knives
- hoof jack
- brushes and hoof picks
- 14″ and 16″ nippers
- pull offs
- leather gloves
- half round nippers
- abscess knife
- wire brush
You can order all these items through us if you’d like. Just contact us to let us know what you will need. Check out our links page for more barefoot sites to look at.
Book and DVD list
- Pete Ramey: Care and rehabilitation of the equine foot (www.hoofrehab.com)
- Paddock Paradise: A Guide to Natural Horse Boarding
- Feed Your Horse Like a Horse by Juliet Getty
- The Natural Horse by Jamie Jackson
- Three-DVD set, Donkey Hooves, Inside and Out
- Video: “Natural Balance Trimming by Gene Ovnicek